Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Planning Our First Dinner Party!


For Navy Officers there is this thing called the ward room. It is to keep morale up and get these crazy people to socialize in something other than a work setting! (There is SOOOO much more to it as well but, eh, we will go with basics (off ship) here.) It allows them to relax and have a good time and hopefully not have to talk or think about work! This, of course, doesn't always happen but they can still have a good time.

Usually, these outings are going to a restaurant to eat, drink, and have a good time. However, since I am one of (if not the only) officer's wife here, I thought they could use a good home cooked meal every once in a while! I love to cook, so, one way or another, it came about that I would cook for all of them! Yey! I am seriously way more excited about this than is necessary. I cannot wait! 

I think it will end up being about a once a month thing. If it were up to me, we would do it every week! However, my husband likes to be at home without those he works with and I cannot say I blame him. This means I get to throw dinner parties for my hub's co-workers and do what I love, cook! 

Last night I actually started planning a few and came up with a  few theme ideas:

  1. Italian
  2. Chinese/Asian
  3. Mexican
  4. Comfort Food
  5. Irish
  6. Steaks/Chicken
These are the options I gave them for this first time around. My husband has to tell their choices and they get to pick from one of those 6 categories and from there I will choose the menu. Exciting! I was just sitting there going through Pinterest and getting all excited and my husband would just look at me like I was crazy! At one point he was like,"You realize this doesn't have to be some big thing, right?" and I told him to hush! I could and I would! Haha He just smiled and left me to my musings.

Pinterest is seriously the best place to find anything! I just typed in dinner party and all kinds of ideas for themes and decor was coming up as well as themed menus! It was rather exciting! I will certainly be using recipes from there for most of the dishes I make as my cookbooks are not here yet and I have only a select few recipes memorized! It all depends on what theme they pick though!

As of right now, I am waiting to hear back from everyone to see what kind of food they want! After that, the planning will commence! Hopefully, we can do it the 2nd weekend after we move into our new place but that will all depend on whether our landlord will give us the post and pans, plates, and silverware since our will not be here for another month or so. I can hope, right? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment