Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Planning Our DIY Wedding From Another State(s)

After my husband and I got engaged we decided to have a courthouse wedding. We wanted to have the benefits of being married since we were already living together and planning to get married anyway. We always had plans to have our "big" wedding in the future.

     Most people, when they are planning their wedding, have the benefit of being in the same state state or at least somewhere close by. For us, this is not even remotely true! When we got engaged in July 2012, we were living in Corpus Christi, TX. We knew from the beginning that our wedding had to be back in Indiana so all of our friends and family could come to celebrate the beginning of our lives together.
     Almost immediately my beginning plans started. this involved a desired date and also me selecting my bridesmaids (very early for the standard but I knew it would not change). We chose October 18, 2014 as out tentative date and knew we wanted an outdoor wedding because that is exactly who we are. Now, we may move the date to a week or two earlier because we do not want it to be too cool. Maybe the 4th or the 11th. We will just have to see what October 2013 is like and we will go from there.
     Now, we are in Newport, RI and not really any closer to home. I sure as hell am not driving 15 hours by myself just for a short weekend...WAY too much driving for too short a time. So, I am left to all of our planning from another and other states.
     There is one plus to not being in Indiana to plan though, my sister is still there and can scout stuff out for me if I need her to. At least I have that option. I had briefly looked into have a wedding planner or at least a day-of coordinator but, for the most part, that is just an extra expense that we do not need. I may still be interested in a day-of planner though....those prices were not too terrible for me to not have to stress about every little detail going right.
     We decided to save a little money and have the ceremony and reception at my dad's house in Hardinsburg, IN. He has a very beautiful property with a barn, pond, and woods so it will be nice. Now, I just have to convince my dad to build me a dock to do in the pond for us to have the ceremony on...We shall see how that goes.
     Right now, even though it is only July 2013, I am on the hunt for my photographer, baker, and caterer. So far, I think my friend Jen will do the photography for us even though she will have to fly from Washington state to do so. Hopefully she knows someone that can 2nd shoot for her because I really want 2 photographers. I want one with me the whole day and one with my husband the whole day. Plus, I also want different views on certain things that would have to happen simultaneously.
     There are so many things we have to think of and little details that I want to be just right! So much goes into planning a wedding and I knew this going into it but dang there is so much to do!
     I will update with more posts as we continue on with our planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment