Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Welcome to My Blog. How About a Little Background?

Hello, and if you are reading this, welcome to my blog! Here I plan to write about my experiences and adventures being married to the love of my life, a Naval Officer. I want to talk about where we have been, what to do there, our adventures getting there, and generally mine and our experiences dealing with the Navy and just about everything else. The ups, the downs, the good, the bad, and the ugly!


My name  is Alisha and my husband is Bill. We both grew up in Indiana, come to find out only about an hour to an hour and a half apart. I am from Floyds Knobs {close to Louisville, KY}/Hardinsburg and he is from Spencer {close to Bloomington, IN}. Both of grew up living relatively "country" lifestyles. His family raised cows and had a few horses and my family raised horses and my grandparents raised pigs until I was in the 4th grade. I miss the pigs. I had always known I would go to Purdue and Bill went there because it was one of two schools in Indiana with Naval ROTC {the other being Notre Dame--which stands for crazy expensive private school.}This is where fate brought us together.

My husband and I first met in 2010 while we were attending Purdue University. We were both lucky enough to have friends that drug us to the same party and somehow we were drawn to one another. We spent the entire night talking and figuring out we were made for each other, we had more than a lot in common and he just so happened to be pretty darn cute and funny too!  At the end of the night we went our separate ways. At the time, I was seeing someone else so we couldn't be together {Even though at the time, I think we both knew that the other was our counterpart in this world.} We kept in touch with an occasional text asking how each other were doing. Finally, in 2011, we started hanging out. We were just friends. The first time we hung out, I was hungry, my room mate did not want to go out, and I did not want to go alone. So I asked Bill if he liked and wanted to go to Buffalo Wild Wings with me. He said yes and so began the start {again} of something amazing.  We went hiking, went to see the newest Pirates of the Carribean, and watched Game of Thrones. We were exciting 21 and 22 year olds.
Before we were dating, on one of our hikes.
During all of this, I am still dating another man, but as I said, Bill and I were just friends at the time. Finally, after seeing there was something better and someone that could treat me better. Even just as friends, Bill had shown me this. I broke up with my now ex and, of course, it hurt. I had been with the guy for 5.5 years! Crazy and such a waste!! {I cannot emphasize that enough} Bill was there to help the initial hurt and comfort me. We grew closer over the next week and we had our first official date on July 15th, 2011. It was the absolute best date I had ever been on and the night was perfect.
Within the first week of us dating.
From the beginning we were inseparable. Bill and I were together every single day. We would usually stay at my apartment and he would get up in the morning to go to PT and I would get to sleep in until my first class. Then at the end of the day we would spend the evening together doing homework or whatever else we had to get done that day. We had the perfect relationship. Each of us respected the other and we always had an amazing time when we were together.

Bill is a year and 19 days older than me and I can never be thankful enough that he had to complete one extra semester to graduate. We would have eventually found each other because we are soul mates but I am so thankful that this enabled us to get together sooner. In December of 2011, Bill graduated from Purdue University and received his commission for the Navy. He was now an officer, an ensign, in the United States Navy. He was very excited to start this new journey in his life and I was excited to be by his side. He had been designated as a Naval Aviator. He was going to flight school! He journey was to start in Pensacola, Florida around January 20. This meant we had a little less than a month left together before he had to leave for Florida because I had to stay behind for school. We made the most of our time together. All of my Christmas break we were together and when classes started, we were living together {for the few short weeks before he had to leave} in my new apartment. I was dreading his upcoming departure but I didn't let that get in the way of having fun in the time we still had left.

Towards the end of our weekend at Turkey Run.
January 15th, 2012 was our 6 month anniversary. Bill made secret plans to take me to Turkey Run State park and had reservations for us to stay at the Turkey Run Inn. Turkey Run was the very first place we ever went hiking together. It was the most thoughtful thing anyone had ever done for me and it made me realize that I had truly made the right choice, I had truly found my other half in this world.
I love this man so much!
We enjoyed our weekend hiking and just being together. Sunday, January 15th was our anniversary. It was also the day Bill was leaving for Florida. We got back from the park and we did not have long before he was going to head to his parents house to say goodbye. We spent it in each others arms. I knew I was going to miss him more than anything. I did not want him to leave. When he finally had to make it down to his car and was pulling away, I was in tears. But I did know that I would hopefully get to visit him soon!

The next couple of days he spent driving and making his way to Florida. The further south he went, the warmer the weather got and it made me so jealous! I was stuck in cold ole' Indiana with 30 degree weather and snow! Bleh! As soon as Bill got to his apartment he got the internet set up so we could talk on Skype. From January to June we talked every day on Skype. Sometimes it was only to tell each other "I love you" and goodnight but it was still worth it.

Booger and I missed Bill!
I got to visit my love twice. Valentine's Day Weekend and my Spring Break. The first time I was only there for about a total of two days but I had missed him so much and he I that it was completely worth being able to be in each others arms! The second time I was there for over a week and while he was at school I would decorate the apartment {it was so bare!} and finally we got him an actual bed set! He's a guy so he had been sleeping with a sleeping bag. Men. We went to movies, I met some of his friends, we cooked some dinner together, and he showed me around Pensacola.  We even got to go hiking a couple of times. All-in-all it was the best Spring Break I had ever had! I did not want to leave!! Alas, I had to go back to Purdue to finish my semester. When it was over, I could join him!

So, I went back to Purdue, finished out my semester and devised a plan to finish my last few classes online through Purdue to complete my Animal Agribusiness degree. Seemed like a good plan at the time but I did not think I would have such a hard time doing statistics in an online course! Oh, it was absolutely terrible. Needless to say, I will have to take that one again. I am down to three classes that I need to graduate with my bachelors degree. Statistics, Calculus, and a management class. I plan to take all three when we move next.

The semester dragged on but when the end finally came, I was elated. My mom, brother, and sister came to help me move all of my crap out of my apartment and get it to my mom's house for the week before we would head down to Florida. While I was home for a week, I mostly stayed at my mom's house but I also went to visit my dad. It was all a good time and I had fun with everyone. Helped my mom clean out her garage and clean up the house a little and then we had the arduous task of loading all of my stuff into the rental truck to prepare for my move. I had sooooo much stuff that it wouldn't all fit and I had to slim what I was taking and leave a few thins behind. Mostly I got to take everything but I had a few non-important things that would not fit. Then the day of the move, it was my mom, my sister, and I all crammed into the truck with all of my stuff. My mom was driving and my sister was in the back smashed against the door next to all the stuff on the back seat. Now, this was by no means a small truck but it was filled to the max. My mom and I switched off driving because we wanted to make it in one day.

The drive was interesting to say the least and very, very long. We got to Florida around 3 am. We were all so tired! We got the apartment complex and Bill was there waiting for me outside to run into his arms. It was perfect. We went into the apartment and he had even gotten me flowers! {Yep, he's a keeper.} And even better, he had gotten my mom and sister flowers too for moving me down there and my mom's birthday on June 4th! He is seriously amazing!!

My mom and sister stayed down in Florida with us for a week and then we had two more weeks until we were to head off to Corpus Christi, Texas. In that week we did so many things including kayaking and laying on the beach. When my family left we did even more. Me made the most of our last few days in Florida!


No comments:

Post a Comment